Pages

Friday, November 4, 2011

Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie


Shepherd's Pie is a traditional English dish that's usually made with lamb and potatoes (things that a shepherd might have on hand, if you know what I mean).  I actually had the pleasure of eating this IN England, when Peter, Lisa and I went in 2008.  It was yummy and delicious then, and even more fun now that I get to relive those memories when I make it.

This recipe is warm and cozy, and really quite easy to put together, but does take a little time and several dishes.  Perfect for a lazy Sunday afternoon (I'm not sure I've ever experienced one of these...mostly I have "frantic to catch up on stuff-study-make dinners that will last the week" Sundays.  I hope you have relaxing Sundays).  I digress.

In the past, I've made this with just sweet potato, but low and behold, I had some sad white potatoes begging to be used up.  I thought a marbled top would be kinda fun, and both Peter and I agreed it was more flavorful than with just the sweet potatoes.  You can use any potato you have on hand.

I make two loaf pans out of this one recipe (so 2 separate Shepherd's pies), and throw one in the freezer. Instant easy weeknight meal.  You know how much I love that.  You could make it in a larger casserole for company or a larger family though.  Whatever you'd like.

Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie
1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into pieces
1 large white potato, peeled and cut into pieces
4 Tbsp fat free cream cheese
1 lb extra lean ground beef, or lean ground turkey
1 container sliced fresh mushrooms
1/2 onion, diced
1/2 cup carrot diced
2 Tbsp light balsamic dressing
4 tsp flour
1/2 cup water
1 cup frozen green beans
Salt, pepper, garlic powder to taste.

Preheat oven to 400.  Microwave potatoes in separate bowls on high 8 minutes or until tender (you can add a bit of water to help them soften).  Mash until smooth.  Add cream cheese to the sweet potato, season both potatoes with salt, pepper, and garlic powder, and mix well.

Brown meat in pan, and drain.  Saute mushrooms, carrots and onions.  Add meat back into the pan.  Mix flour and water separately, then stir into meat mixture.  Add dressing, and cook until slightly thickened.  Stir in green beans, and spoon into baking dish.  Add alternating spoonfuls of white and sweet potato.  Spread evenly and swirl to create a marble effect.  Sprinkle on cut chives, if you have some on hand.  Bake 20 minutes or until heated through.

*I usually divide this recipe up into to baking dishes and freeze one.  Then, just bake from frozen or thawed state!

No comments:

Post a Comment