Pages

Sunday, November 20, 2011

Stuffed Shells

So, I'm on my Family Medicine rotation now, which happens to be located about 40 miles north of my apartment.  That's a bummer.  I'm loving my attendings, who let me do sooo much (I have a good record with blood draws, give about 30 vaccinations a day, and (help) make diagnoses left and right, thank you very much)!  But by the time I get home, dinner is becoming an afterthought.  I knew this would happen during my M3 year!

I'm taking advantage of my 1 1/2 days off each week by trying to prepare meals I can freeze and use later in the week.  Stuffed shells are so tasty, but a little time intensive (not bad, but not for Tuesday at 630pm).  On the weekend, when you can do a little more, make a big batch of these and put them into smaller baking dishes, and freeze or refrigerate.  Stuffed pasta is notoriously calorically expensive, but I think I did an OK job here, using a whole package of spinach (yay vitamins) and fat free cream cheese (low calorie), and a moderate amount of cheese.
Poor picture quality!  But you get the hint

Speaking of food, it's finally Thanksgiving week!  I have many recipes that I'm making for my little gathering of friends in Chicago.  Stay tuned!  They may come too late for your Thanksgiving dinner, but they'd be tasty for your Christmas celebration :)
Our side dish was broccolini, a fun new vegetable I've discovered.
Steam it, if you can find it in your grocery store.

Stuffed Shells
1 box jumbo shells
1 8oz package fat free cream cheese
1 package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed out
1 package italian dressing mix (powder)
1 tsp garlic powder
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 links chicken sausage
1/2 jar marinara sauce
Shredded mozzarella cheese
Fresh basil

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Cook shells according to package directions; drain.  In a bowl, combine fat free cream cheese, spinach, dressing mix, garlic powder, salt and pepper.   Stir in chopped chicken sausage.

In a large baking dish (or two baking dishes) spread some marinara sauce on the bottom.  Stuff each shell with a spoonful of the spinach filling mixture.  Line in baking dish.  Pour marinara sauce over the top, and top with cheese.  Bake for 25 minutes or until warmed through.  Top with freshly torn basil, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment