Pages

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Roasted Meatballs


Nope, this isn't a new take on meatballs.  Beef, egg, bread crumbs, seasoning, mix to combine, form into balls.  However, this might be a new way to MAKE meatballs...in the oven.

Yep, this means no more frying over an over-crowded pan, oil spattering everywhere, meatballs getting soggy, kitchen smelling like, well, meatballs.  Bake meatballs in the oven (375 should do) for about 10 minutes, and they are perfectly done, and not the least bit soggy.  Brilliant.

A word about actually making the mix:  don't over-combine.  Your meatballs will be tough, or just fall apart.  I like to beat the egg with the seasonings and bread crumbs before I even add in the ground beef (lean, please).  Then, just lightly toss together with a fork.

I like to make baby ones:  grab a little bit, toss and roll with your hands, and plop onto a greased cookie sheet.  Mine tend to get bigger as I go..whoops.  It doesn't really matter, but try to keep them about the same size so they cook evenly.  And "blah blah, lots of work to make meatballs...worked all day...supper soon, blah blah":  I timed myself and it took 4 minutes to make a tray full of meatballs.  4 minutes.

These would be fun for a (holiday) party:  serve with marinara sauce for dipping with little toothpicks.  Easy to assemble and kinda fun, plus a good protein break from the usual litany of cookies and other holiday crap (not that I have anything against "holiday crap"....I'm Christmas' biggest freak...just you wait).

No comments:

Post a Comment