Pages

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Peach Pineapple Smoothie: The Perfect Afternoon Snack

Ok so does anyone else need a little something around 3:30pm to get you through until dinner?  I totally do, and smoothies are one of my go-to snacks when I want something refreshing, filling and healthy. This, again, is more of a method than a recipe.  I make smoothies using all kinds of fruit, usually fruit in my fridge that's on it's way out...like strawberries that you wouldn't want to put in a bowl and eat as-is, but you don't want to toss either (not that I ever have that situation with produce...whoops).

There are two secrets to a great smoothie, in my humble opinion:  vanilla extract and oatmeal.  Please don't hang up just yet, hear me out!  The vanilla adds a really rich flavor and makes any smoothie from your kitchen taste like a $5 one from the mall.  And the oatmeal, as weird as it sounds, makes the smoothie super thick and filling.  No, it's not like a blended, cold bowl of oatmeal, I promise.  Try it one time and you'll love it!

Smoothies make great post-workout afternoon snacks, good breakfasts, nice desserts, you name it!  You could add a scoop or two of vanilla protein powder, or a banana, or some vanilla ice cream if you're really feeling crazy.  Just don't forget the vanilla and sprinkle of oatmeal :)

Peach Pineapple Smoothie
Makes enough for 2 large glasses

1 cup frozen sliced peaches
1 cup fresh chopped pineapple
1/2 cup strawberries, tops cut off and cut into chunks
1/4 cup old-fashioned oats, uncooked
1/2 cup diet tropical juice (I like Diet V8 Splash), or light orange juice
A few ice cubes, depending on how thick you like your smoothie
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Throw everything into a blender and whir it up for at least 1 minute.  Add more liquid if it's too thick.  Pour into glasses, add a little paper umbrella if you feel the need, and enjoy!


Hope your Tuesday is a great one.  Happy snacking!

Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment