Pages

Friday, August 26, 2011

My Mom's Sugar Cookies

Every family has an iconic recipe that is just instant comfort food.  For my family, that's sugar cookies.  Originally, the recipe came from a woman my mom worked with (Audrey, I believe), but if we begin citing everyone who has used this recipe, we'd be here all day.  So, we'll call them Rox's Sugar Cookies, because that's what they are to me.  I know what you're thinking, "I have like 60 recipes for sugar cookies, what's the big deal?"  Like any heirloom, it's really most special for those who grew up with the recipe, but I think it's worth a try for you as well.  Seriously, these are amazing.
Action shot: cream butter and sugar together super well
You can't overmix at this stage.

The secret?  Like a ton of almond extract, especially in the simple frosting.  My brother goes nuts for this stuff, and during the holiday season, I usually reserve a small bowl for him to eat with a spoon.  I do the same thing...embarrasing.  The cookie dough itself is pretty basic, but yields a tender, flaky cookie that is a great palate for such a zinger of a frosting recipe.  I did make a change that I'm not sure has been tried in my family before:  I folded in tiny dot sprinkles into the cookie dough before rolling and baking.  They don't melt when they bake, and they give a fun texture and color, kinda like funfetti.  It makes the recipe a bit more "summer-ish," I think.

For the frosting, it's just butter, powdered sugar, a little milk and almond extract.  I added just a few scrapings of lemon zest, which really cuts through the sweetness.  Take it or leave it, up to you, but I think it's a nice addition.

I'm making these today for the OB night shift people, as my last night shift is tomorrow night (thank God). I'm just deliriously tired from last night's shift, but my brain apparently can bake on autopilot.  Good to know.

Rox's Sugar Cookie Recipe
1 cup butter
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp almond extract
1/4 tsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 cups flour

In a mixer, cream butter and sugars well.  Beat in egg, vanilla, and almond extracts and lemon juice.  Being careful not to overmix, mix in dry ingredients.  Chill and roll out, cut with cookie cutters or a round glass.  Bake at 350 for 6 minutes until just done and only slightly brown.  Cool and frost!

Almond Frosting
1/2 stick butter, softened
2 cups powdered sugar
2-3 Tbsp milk (as needed to find right consistency)
1 1/2 tsp almond extract
1/8 tsp lemon zest (just a few microplane swipes)

Combine ingredients until desired consistency (could be runnier to drizzle, or thicker to spread).  Color, if desired.  Spread on cookies (or eat straight out of the bowl, whatever).

Get a good night's sleep,
Amy

PS:  Just a pic of Lady being cute.  I just love her underbite :)


No comments:

Post a Comment