Pages

Saturday, August 20, 2011

Easy Chicken Enchiladas

So before I tell you about a super easy and wonderful enchilada recipe, would anyone like to hear about placentas?  (In my world, most people would answer with an enthusiastic "YES!", but you may not be so excited...that's ok, I'll make it medicine-G-rated).

I had my first 16 hour OB call last night, and it went much, much better than expected.  Once my med school partner Nina and I figured out what we needed to be doing, where we could find precious lab information, and how exactly to put on those weird sterile gowns, we were off.  I saw 3 1/2 deliveries (the "1/2" was because I was called to the OB triage unit right before the lady I had been following for several hours delivered...bummer), and I even delivered a placenta!  That may seem just strange to you, but truly, I'll remember that moment for the rest of my life.  It was my first real "medical intervention" experience, besides just asking people about pain, listening to hearts, or, well, doing psychiatry things.  Everyone made it safely through the experience, and although the chief resident pretty much had her hands on mine the whole time, I'm going to go ahead and say I did it "myself."  Success!

Enough OB stories?  As my mom likes to say, "sandwich in one hand, something bodily-gross in the other."  Enchiladas!

This is a rather healthy dish that's easy to make ahead, freezes well, and bakes pretty quickly.  That's a winner in my book.

I believe the original recipe is from Campbell's Soup's Website, but the recipe below contains a few modifications from my kitchen.  I meant to take some instructional pictures on how to best fold the tortillas to make the enchilada, but I sort of went on autopilot and before I knew it, all the enchiladas were in the pans.  Epic fail.  But really, all you need to do is evenly divide the filling between 5-6 whole wheat tortillas, placing the filling centrally and near the bottom (so, while leaving a border, putting the filling at like 5, 6, and 7 o'clock).  Then fold in the right and left sides of the tortilla, and roll the whole thing away from you a few times.  Place seam-side down in a baking dish, and top with reserved soup mixture.  Bake!

Wishing you a great weekend!

Amy

Easy Chicken and Cheese Enchiladas
1 can light Cream of Chicken Soup
1/2 cup fat free sour cream
1 cup salsa, any kind
2 tsp chili powder
3 cups cooked chopped chicken
1/2 cup shredded cheese (I like to use cheddar)
6 whole wheat tortillas

Heat oven to 350F.  Stir the soup, sour cream, salsa, and chili powder in a medium bowl.

Stir 1 cup of soup mixture, chicken, and cheese in a large bowl.  Divide the chicken mixture among the tortillas.  Roll up the tortillas and place seam-side down in a shallow baking dish.  Pour remaining soup mixture over filled tortillas.  (You can freeze at this point).

Bake for 40 minutes or until enchiladas are hot and bubbling.  Serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment