Pages

Thursday, August 18, 2011

On a walk with Lady

Instead of posting a recipe today, I thought I'd take you on a walk with Lady!  We have such a pretty neighborhood, and it's good extra exercise for everyone.  Here we go!
This is literally right outside our lobby door.  
 We live in a neighbhorhood called the Fulton River District.  It is right on the Chicago River where it splits to go north and south.  We are like 100 feet from the Loop (downtown area) and the same distance from River North, a trendy, yuppy-type area.
I took this as Lady and I were crossing the Kinzie Street Bridge, about a block north of our apartment.  The really tall building in the far back center is the Sears Tower (or Willis, or whatever they call it now).


River North is a really cool neighborhood with TONS of restaurants, cafes, etc.  This one is called Scoozi, an Italian restaurant that Peter and I have reservations to on Saturday night.  I'll be both post-call and pre-call, so I informed him that our home kitchen will be closed that night.  I hate it when that happens :)
This is one of two parks that we frequent:  the Erie Street Park.  Lady loves to sniff around in the grass and meet up with some of her canine friends.
Walking nicely without her Gentle Leader!  Score
This statue-flower bed thing is in the Erie Park.  I just think it's neat.
This is the River Walk, which is sandwiched between the East Bank Club (spendy gym near our apartment where Obama and Oprah frequent supposedly...I've never seen any secret service) and the Chicago River.  The Kinze Street bridge (where we started our picture tour) is in the background.
We are on our way to park number 2, but I had to show you the Blommer Chocolate Company.  They have been open for like 65 years, and make chocolate 24/7.  It's notable because it makes the ENTIRE neighborhood smell like a melted chocolate bar...I'll take it.
This is the Desplaines Street Park, about 3 blocks from our apartment.  It's a great park to get a quick walk/potty time in, and she usually sees a lot of friends in here.  In the background is the grocery store we frequent, Jewel-Osco.  It's obviously walking distance, but they have ample free parking for larger trips (that's a MAJOR commodity in the city...it's hard to drive anywhere unless you're willing to pay $15 to park for 20 min :)
Almost home, but this is Peter's El (train) stop to get to school.  Only like 1 1/2 blocks...not bad!

I hope you enjoyed your walk!  Lady sure did, and she's napping now.  Success.   Tomorrow is my first night reporting for OB duty...yikes!  I'm bringing snacks and iced coffee...and an "act like you've been there" attitude.  I'll report back on whether I help bring anyone new into the world.  Double yikes.

No comments:

Post a Comment