Pages

Saturday, October 15, 2011

Pierogies and Kielbasa


So, I'm Polish.  Like really Polish, so when I saw a recipe for pierogies and kielbasa in the Food Network Magazine, I had to try it.  I grew up eating kielbasa, and to be honest it wasn't my favorite then.  But like most things, cook it your own way and try it with your adult palate and you will probably have a new favorite.


The recipe was for grilled pierogies, which to me seemed like a mess.  So I basically tore apart the recipe and came up with this.  Super fun, and extremely, extremely fast.  The pierogies need to bake for 16-18 minutes, so by the time you preheat the oven and bake the little dumpling things, everything else will be ready.  No joke.

Wait...what is a pierogie?  You can find them in the freezer section (by the tater tots, etc).  How can I describe it....it's kinda like a pillowy-ravioli-like thing filled with a potato-cheese mixture, but it doesn't taste too potato-like.  It doesn't taste too pasta-like either.  It's just a fun new ingredient.  Go try it.  They even make them in Low Fat...grab those.  And as for the kielbasa, I buy the turkey kind...healthier, obviously, and I don't think it tastes too much different than the beef kind.  It's just a big U-shaped sausage.  No big deal.
Make the dressing in a big bowl so you can toss in the other ingredients
From what I gather, I had some great-grandmothers who could make some mean pierogies from scratch. I'm willing to bet my Nana also has that skill set.  Maybe someday she'll show me?  (hint hint :)

Smacznego,  (bon apetite in Polish, apparently)
Amy


Pierogies and Kielbasa
Serves 4

1 package Mrs. T's potato and cheese pierogies
1 link turkey kielbasa, cut into slices
1 white onion, cut into wedges or slices
2 Tbsp mustard
splash white wine
2 Tbsp olive oil, plus 1 Tbsp for sauteing
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley (i didn't have this on hand...but if you do throw it in)
Salt, pepper and garlic powder, to taste.

Bake pierogies according to package directions.  Meanwhile, saute onion in 1 Tbsp olive oil.  After it has softened, add sliced kielbasa and allow to warm through and brown.

Whisk together mustard, wine, olive oil, lemon juice, parsley and seasonings in a large bowl.  Toss in onion and kielbasa.  Gently mix in pierogies.  Divide amongst 4 plates and serve with a side salad or veggies.

No comments:

Post a Comment