Pages

Saturday, October 29, 2011

A Halloween Walk, and the Nursery

I'm a crazy dog mom.  I never thought I'd say it, but I am.  Hence, this morning on my long leisurely Saturday walk with Lady, it was only natural that I shove her in her lady bug Halloween costume for the occasion.  Here are some of the highlights:

She tolerated it well (as long as I didn't try to keep the hoodie part on her head, she was cool), but the best part was seeing nearly every person we walked by smile or chuckle.  Some people outright laughed at her ridiculous cuteness.  I can't blame them.

A little girl touring with her family couldn't resist shouting out, "Look mommy!  It's a lady bug because it's almost Halloween!"  She squealed with delight when I informed her that her real name IS Lady Bug.  Even little kids get the joke.

Speaking of little kids, could I tell you about how much fun I had being on the nursery service this week?  Yep, a WHOLE week of examining little newborns.  Oh, my, God.  I would get to the hospital super early to figure out who was newly born from last night, and who was "old".  Then my residents would assign me a few babies (I had up to 5 at one point) to fully examine and "date" before we rounded with the attending.  (The dating thing is pretty cool:  we can figure out their gestational age based on like 14 things about the baby.  Apparently it's more accurate than ultrasound if it's done within the first day of life).  Talk about humbling to be the first "doctor" to examine a baby!  I got pretty good at finding jaundice, little anomalies, listening to their hearts and trying frantically to keep up, attempting to hear any murmur (I didn't hear any this week...those PDAs close fast!).  The nursery attending (a doctor from the NICU who came up to check out the normal babies) loved to teach, so rounds were fun.  One more week in clinic, then no peds until next year.  Boo...

Love
Amy
 PS:  Tune in tomorrow for a super fun halloween (or anytime...) treat...

No comments:

Post a Comment