Pages

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

South of the Border Bean Salad


I made up this dandy all by myself.  A friend of mine on a rotation had a similar salad, and as I stared at my bland sandwich and what everyone jokes as the "osteoporosis prevention lunch" (cottage cheese, yogurt and veggies...that I have every day) I was jealous.  So with a few pantry staples and some extras from the produce department, I had a yummy Mexican-ish bean salad.

The goat cheese was good, but it's creamier than other varieties that might work, like feta, so use whatever you'd like.  I really liked the goat cheese (it's tangy and delicious).  Don't be weirded out that it's from goat's milk.  How is cow's milk any better?...think about it.

South of the Border Bean Salad

1 can each black beans and garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
1 small jalapeno, seeded and diced
4 green onions, sliced
1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
7 black olives, chopped
1/4 cup lime juice
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp garlic salt
Black pepper, to taste
4 oz goat cheese, crumbled

Combine lime juice, olive oil, chili powder, garlic salt and pepper in a large bowl.  Then add in all the other ingredients, tossing to coat.  Add cheese last and lightly stir.  Refrigerate and enjoy all week!

No comments:

Post a Comment