Pages

Sunday, March 11, 2012

Easy Beef Stroganoff


My mom made beef stroganoff a lot when I was younger.  Peter's family did too (his brother insisted on calling it "beef schneg-in-ire", which is what I can't help but call it :).  Someone at work was talking about making it, which really gave me the bug to do it too.  I found this one on kraft.com, and it's healthy-ish and delicious.  The "gravy" was a bit runny, despite my flour-thickening efforts, but it was still magnificent.  (Just get a nice whole wheat roll to sop up the remaining juices).   It kept well in the refrigerator, and we had round two a few days later.

Instead of buying stew meat (which I find tough and stringy...bleh), I bought 1 sirloin steak, trimmed the fat, and sliced it AGAINST THE GRAIN pretty thinly.  Then I sauteed it, and it worked out nicely.  I think buying quality cuts of meat is worth it...quality food in general is worth it.  Let's face it...lean meats, fresh fruit, etc are much cheaper than coronary angioplasty or a CABG.  Just saying.

Easy Beef Stroganoff
Adapted from Kraft.com

1 Tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb beef sirloin steak, cut into thin strips
3 Tbsp flour
1 can beef broth
2 Tbsp mustard
2 tsp paprika
1 green pepper, cut into strips
1 package sliced fresh mushrooms
2 cups whole wheat egg noodles, uncooked
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup fat free sour cream

Heat oil in a large skillet.  Add onion, garlic and peppers.  Saute a few minutes, then add mushrooms.  Cook a few minutes longer, and add steak strips and cook through.  Stir in flour.

Add beef broth, mustard, and paprika, stir well.  Bring to a boil, then stir in noodles and water.  Simmer on medium-low heat 10 minutes or until noodles are tender.  Stir in sour cream and cook 1 minute.  Serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment