Pages

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Breakfast Sandwiches


Who eats breakfast at 445am?  I do...it grosses me out a little bit too.  As you know (because I've been loudly complaining), I'm on surgery, and man, do those people like to get up and at-em!  Also, they like to stand in ORs, trapped, for hours on end, so you never really know when you'll be eating again (Am I making my life sound like an episode of Survivor?  Because that's what it feels like :)  These sandwiches are a perfect way to start a long day.  Lots of protein and fiber...I don't get hungry for hours!  (and I always have a back-up granola bar in my pocket).
If you try these, somehow get your eggs to be the size of
your English muffin.  I let them cook for a while (don't scramble)
then fold in the edges, then flip
In my frantic fumbling about in the dark, trying to get assembled and out the door to get to the hospital by 5ish, I realized that I don't have time to enjoy a leisurely bowl of oatmeal, so I came up with this idea. I put together some egg sandwiches a few days in advance, pop them in sandwich bags, and store in the fridge.  Then I can microwave for 30 seconds and run out the door, eating said sandwich in the car.  I like to add a little ketchup after microwaving.  It adds great flavor, plus some excitement (am I going to make it to the hospital without getting ketchup all over my coat?).

Breakfast Sandwiches
Makes 1, you can make a bunch at a time

1 whole wheat English Muffin (I like the 100 calorie ones)
1 slice bacon (cooked) or canadian bacon
1 whole egg + 1 egg white, lightly beaten, seasoned with salt and pepper

In a skillet over med-high heat, pour eggs and allow to set before you start moving them (we are making more of an omelet than scrambled eggs).  Try to end up with an egg "patty" that is about the size of your English muffin.  I do this by folding in the edges of the cooking egg, then flipping the whole thing over and moving in edges that are oozing out.  When done, remove from pan and allow to cool.

Toast the English muffin, and to one side add your meat.  Top with room temp eggs, and add the other half of the muffin to make a sandwich.  Store in the refrigerator in a sandwich bag.

(Way too early) in the morning, microwave a sandwich for about 30-40 seconds, then add a little ketchup (it's delicious...trust me).  Put back in sandwich bag and run out the door.  Enjoy in the car, trying not to spill on your coat.

No comments:

Post a Comment