Pages

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Whoopie Pies


Truth:  I've never had a whoopie pie before.  These are apparently a staple Southern dessert, and I've always wanted to try them.  This weekend was my chance.  I had 1 measly day off from work (boo...), but really, really wanted to bake.  I found a bunch of recipes that were "make from scratch", but I truly didn't feel like going all out.  I cheated and used a boxed cake mix (gasp!)

These are...fantastic.  They are essentially little cakes that are the size of cookies, with a wonderful creamy marshmallow-ish goo in the middle.  I decided to dye it red, in the spirit of Valentine's Day, but you could leave these white, or whatever you want.  I've also seen recipes where they used different cake mixes (spice cake, white, funfetti, anything!) so get creative and use what you like.  Store them in the refrigerator, as the middle gets a little soft!!

Also, obviosuly, don't try to frost these while the cakes are warm.  The marshmallow-cheese mixture will melt and be all over.

Whoopie Pies
Adapted from Kraftfoods.com

1 box cake mix (I used milk chocolate)
1 box (3.5 oz) sugar free instant chocolate pudding
3 squares unsweetened chocolate, melted
1 jar (7oz) marshmallow cream
1 8oz package light cream cheese
4 oz Cool Whip (half a container)
1 tsp vanilla extract
A few drops red food coloring

Preheat oven to 350.  Prepare cake batter according to package directions, except reduce water to 3/4 cup.  Beat in pudding mix (dry) and melted chocolate.  Scoop onto prepared baking sheets, leaving a lot of space between each one.  Bake for 10-12 minutes or until set.  Cool on cooling racks.

To make frosting, beat marshallow cream, cream cheese, vanilla extract and food coloring until smooth.  Fold in Cool Whip.  Refrigerate until ready to make cake sandwiches.  Then just spread a bunch of the marshmallow stuff on the flat side of one cake, and top with another!

No comments:

Post a Comment