Pages

Saturday, February 4, 2012

Shrimp, Tortellini and Spinach


I started my neurology rotation this week, and so far, it has been bearable.  I'm not the brain's biggest fan, but I know it's extremely relevant to any field (especially peds...they have big heads and tend to hit them often...and seizures) so I'm soaking up every bit I can.  We are a consult service; so the neurology team gets "consulted" to any part of the hospital and they send us students out to do a full exam/figure out what's wrong.  Most of the time I can get away with saying, "stroke vs TIA or a seizure...or high blood pressure", but I'm getting better with the subtle signs and broadening my differential diagnosis a bit :)  We don't see any kids (there's a special peds neuro team), so that's sad, but oh well!
Really,  just dump the whole bag in there!

I digress; This recipe has been a go-to of ours (ie, mine) for quite some time.  It's fast, and it has a whole bag of spinach in it, so it can count as a salad serving too :)  Don't let that freak you out...wilted spinach is great, and a good source of vitamins and fiber, so don't you dare leave it out.

Shrimp, Tortellini and Spinach
Adapted from kraftfoods.com

1 package whole wheat refrigerated tortellini
1/4 cup roasted red pepper or light italian viniagrette
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 can diced tomatoes, undrained
3/4 lb shrimp
1 bag (6oz) baby spinach leaves
1/4 cup fresh basil
2 Tbsp parmesan cheese

Cook pasta as directed.  Drain and set aside.  Heat dressing over med-high heat.  Add garlic and cook 1 minute.  Add tomatoes and bring to a boil.  Stir in spinach, stir until wilted.  Stir in shrimp and cook until just opaque (a minute or two).  Add pasta and basil, toss, and simmer until sauce thickens (about 3-4 minutes).

No comments:

Post a Comment