Pages

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Spaghetti Pie


I'm so excited...tomorrow is my last day of neuro, and it's a half day at that!  It's been a fun rotation, but tons of work, and as cool as the brain is, I miss the rest of the body :)   I'm headed home to Rapids for the weekend to help my dad with the Men in the Kitchen adventure.  It will be such a blast!  We have tons of help and a great menu.  I'll post about our adventures.

So this recipe is one I remember from my childhood...I loved it, and how fun to have all the parts of spaghetti but in a slice!  When I make this, I prepare 2 small pans (8" cake pans), and have one in the freezer for the next week.  Each pie will make enough for 4 hearty slices.

Spaghetti Pie

3/4 box whole wheat spaghetti
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese (the stuff in the green can...the only time I'll tell you that)
Salt and pepper
1 lb extra lean ground beef
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves
1 jar tomato sauce
1 can diced tomatoes, undrained
2 Tbsp tomato paste
1 16 oz container part skim Ricotta cheese
Mozzarella cheese

Cook pasta, then quickly toss in eggs and parmesan cheese, salt and pepper.  Spread in the bottom of 2 8" cake pans (that are greased) (or a 9x13 pan).  Top with the ricotta cheese (dot it around and spread it the best you can).

Saute ground beef; drain.  Sautee onion and garlic, then add meat back to pan.  Add tomato sauce, tomatoes and tomato paste; stir.  Split between the two pans, and top with mozzarella.  Wrap one in foil and put in the freezer for later, and pop the other one in the oven (350 for 25-30 minutes).  Cut like a pie!

No comments:

Post a Comment