Pages

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Cranberry Chicken Salad


You know I'm all about fun lunches that aren't a lot of work during the workweek.  I've been getting sick of my monotonous sandwich, or soup, so I decided to make some chicken salad.  Now, tuna/chicken salads get a bad wrap as being unhealthy, and they usually are.  But how about we trade out all that gloppy, full fat mayo for fat free plain yogurt and a little bit of light mayo?  Yogurt is a perfectly great substitute for mayo, plus you get all the healthy benefits of yogurt (low calorie, good for your tummy, etc).  Trust me on this one.
Everyone, meet tarragon.

I also decided to add tarragon.  It's not an herb I cook with often (actually, I don't know if I ever have), but all the recipes I've read have tarragon in them.  Pinch off a leaf next time you're at the grocery store: it's kind of licorice-smelling.  I hate licorice, so I wasn't sure what would happen here.  It's actually fantastic in the chicken salad.  And no, it does not taste like a nasty piece of black licorice (who EATS that anyways??)

Happy lunching!  PS:  have you missed Lady Bug?  Here she is, in her "breakfast and lunch position."  When Peter is eating, she curls up in his lap.  She never tries to take anything, she just enjoys the free smells :)

Cranberry Chicken Salad
1 lb cooked, cubed chicken
1/3 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup plain nonfat yogurt
1/4 cup light mayo
2 Tbsp mustard
1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
2 Tbsp chopped tarragon
1/4 cup red onion, diced
2 green onions, thinly sliced

In a large bowl, combine all ingredients except chicken and cranberries.  Fold in remaining ingredients (you could also use celery, walnuts, whatever!) and chill.  Serve in a sandwich, with lettuce, crackers, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment