Pages

Friday, December 30, 2011

Sewing 101: Dog Jacket


So, as a birthday gift from my parents, I was the proud recipient of a new sewing machine.  It's a Singer Simple, and simple it is not, but I'm doing the best I can.  I've dabbled in some small sewing projects growing up, but I figure now is as good a time as any to learn a fun new craft...yes, third year is definitely the best time to pick up a new hobby.

My mom got some simple pillow-like cut outs that I worked with to figure out the machine (the bobbin will be the death of me...), but after that, it was on to a pattern.  Now, you sewing experts out there probably find this hilarious, but seriously patterns are complicated!  We first tried a "bolero":  a seemingly novice vest-like clothing item.  Needless to say, it had 60 parts with complicated maneuvers probably too much for a beginner.  This project ended with a half-done bolero and two women laughing hysterically at our "shoot for the moon" sewing project.  Scratch that.

We went to Walmart and found patterns for a dog jacket and an apron (much more appropriate) and started the dog jacket right away.  Elbie was thrilled to be our model.  Once I got going, it wasn't too bad!  (Plus, I had my mom on stand-by, who is a great teacher :)  What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment