Pages

Monday, December 5, 2011

Eggnog Oatmeal

I have a million ways to make oatmeal because it's my favorite breakfast food.  Warm, lovely texture, sweet with fun mix-ins, it's sure to keep me buzzing around the clinic until lunchtime (because lets be honest...there's no time for a mid-morning snack most days).

A fun way to prepare oatmeal this time of year is to use a splash of eggnog in place of milk.  I usually make my oatmeal with water and add a few splashes of milk when it's done cooking, but you could make it with all milk and add some eggnog as well.  I think using ONLY eggnog would be a bit ridiculous, but be my guest.

I like Silk soy eggnog...I know what you're thinking; "I'm not drinking soybeans...I'm just not."  Well fine, use the regular kind, but the Silk kind is the lightest on calories that I've been able to find in the grocery store and tastes remarkably like the real thing!!

Eggnog Oatmeal
1/2 cup old fashioned oats
1 cup water
1 tsp brown sugar (+ 1 packet Splenda, if desired)
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp cinnamon
Dash of salt
Eggnog to taste

Cook oatmeal according to package directions.  After cooking, add sugars, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt; mix well.  Add eggnog and stir until creamy.  Enjoy a fiber-filled taste of Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment