Pages

Saturday, December 10, 2011

Glazed Pork with Brussels Sprouts and Sweet Potatoes


Last Sunday, I hosted a little cookie baking party.  Two of my good friends came over and we tore up my kitchen.  We made about 5 dozen cut out cookies!  (we decided that it is WAY more fun to do sugar cookies with a team).  I don't know if you find this, but whenever I make and then decorate sugar cookies in the same day, I get burnt out and resentful.  The last 2 dozen cookies end up looking like a 4 year old was given creative licence with colored frosting.  So, we decided to stretch out the fun and decorate the baked cookies in a week (tomorrow!).

After said kitchen disaster, I decided it would be a great time to try a new roast recipe.  Looking back, it probably was a bit more than I was bargaining for after several hours of cookie baking, but whatever, the roast was defrosted.  I found this in a Rachael Ray magazine, and it is delicious!  I adapted it to have more glaze because, well, the 3 Tbsp I ended up with after finishing the recipe was just not enough.  Enjoy!

Glazed Pork with Brussels Sprouts and Sweet Potatoes
Adapted from Rachael Ray
1 1/2 lbs pork roast, fat trimmed
4 Tbsp grainy mustard
2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1 lb brussels sprouts, halved
1 lb sweet potatoes, cut into wedges
4 springs thyme
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 granny smith apple, peeled and chopped

Preheat oven to 425.  Season pork with salt and pepper, and place in a 9x13 pan.  Scatter sweet potatoes around, and drizzle 1 Tbsp oil; toss.  In a small bowl, stir together mustard, vinegar and brown sugar.  Brush over pork and drizzle over sweet potatoes, reserving about half.  Roast for 25 minutes.  Add brussels sprouts to pan, stir veggies, and return to oven for 20 more minutes.  Now add apple and remaining glaze, stir veggies, and return to oven for 15 minutes or until apples are tender and pork reads 150.  Allow pork to rest before slicing.

For an easy dipping sauce, combine more grainy mustard with light mayonnaise or sour cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment