Pages

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Apple Cranberry Quinoa

I'm sick of sandwiches...just sick of them.  Ugh, I cannot pack one more.  I knew I needed to make something this weekend that would be delish, hold up in a lunch box, and not require bread or turkey meat.  Enter quinoa salads.  "Omg, not another weird grain", I can hear you thinking.  Well, technically, this is a seed...

How many good-for-you items can we squeeze into one lunch-friendly recipe?  Like a lot.  Quinoa is great...I've only recently discovered it, but it's wonderful.  It's kinda-sorta like rice, I guess, but it has a lot more protein.  Also, it's gluten free!!! (if you're into that), and is jam packed with nutrients (we all should be into that).  Cook it up like rice: 1 quinoa:2 water/broth ratio.

Then there's edamame=soybeans.  Don't leave me now.  They are a fun little green bean-like thing, and you can find them shelled and frozen in the freezer section of your grocery store.  I like to keep some in the fridge and throw them on my salads for nice texture.  Toss them into this salad...don't be weirded out, just do it.  And hey, they're soybeans, so they'd be a great addition if you have peri-menopausal symptoms like hot flashes(ahem...I'm still in Gyne, I can talk like that).

The rest of the ingredients, you know: green onion, apple, cranberries, herbs, carrots.  Easy peasy.  The dressing is even healthy!  Lemon juice, apple juice, and salt/pepper is basically all you'll need.  If you're crazy, add some feta or parmesan cheese right before you serve.

Apple Cranberry Quinoa
1 cup quinoa
2 cups water
1/2 cup baby carrots, diced
5-6 green onions, sliced
1 apple, diced
1 cup frozen edamame, shelled, and cooked
3 Tbsp fresh flat leaf parsley and thyme
1 lemon, zested and juiced
1/3 cup apple juice
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 tsp salt
2/3 cup dried cranberries

In a small saucepan, combine dried quinoa, baby carrots, and water.  Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for about 10-15 minutes, or until quinoa is tender.  Meanwhile, combine all other ingredients into a large bowl and mix well.  Stir in quinoa and carrots, and taste to check seasoning.  Cover and store in the refrigerator to enjoy all well for lunch or as a great side dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment