Pages

Thursday, August 16, 2012

Easy Chicken Pot Pie


Well I've fallen off the face of the blog world haven't I?  So sorry...the sub-I has been a tad busy (sub-I=sub internship, functioning like a first year resident).  I've been having a blast  but working a lot.  No big deal :)  I hope you guys are doing great!  I'll be blogging a bit more, I think!  Next week is my last week as a subI, then I'll have a week off.  In September, I'll be spending the month in Madison all by my lonesome (Peter is staying in Chicago to work/take care of Lady Bug) to do pediatric pulmonology.  I'm sure I'll keep you posted about my adventures there!

Chicken pot pie is obviously a comfort food classic, but it's usually cream based with a pie crust and time consuming, none of which I was in the mood for when I made this.  It's far from homemade, but you make it at home so that counts, right?  I made the recipe below, which is about 4 servings, and froze half of the chicken mixture (no Bisquick).  When I wanted to serve it again, I thawed then heated the mixture in a pan before putting it in bowls and topping with Bisquick dough to bake.  Easy classic!

Easy Chicken Pot Pie
Serves 4

3 cups cooked chicken, cubed
1 bag frozen mixed vegetables
1 can reduced fat/sodium cream of chicken soup
Fresh herbs
Salt and pepper
Bisquick baking mix (heart healthy kind)
Skim Milk

Preheat oven to 400.  In a saucepan, combine chicken, frozen mixed vegetables, and cream of chicken soup.  Stir in fresh herbs, salt and pepper.  Heat through.  Spoon into individual oven safe bowls or a large baking dish.  Prepare bisquick biscuit batter as directed on package.  Drop batter onto chicken mixture, and bake 12-15 minutes or until biscuits are done (it may take longer if you chose to bake it in one dish).  Allow to cool slightly and serve!


No comments:

Post a Comment