Pages

Thursday, August 2, 2012

Apple Pie Ice Cream


Well hello there everyone.  To be completely honest I have no clue what day it is, but I figured I should find a minute to post.  I started my sub-internship on the peds floor on Monday, and it has been a whirlwind of a week.  This is a different role than anything I've done because I'm "pretending" I'm a first year resident: I get to (have to, really) put orders into the computer, I take all calls from the pharmacy, nurses, ancillary staff, consulting physicians, admitting residents, etc and do my best to field their questions and punt the rest to my senior resident (a third year, almost done with training!).  She has been so extremely wonderful and patient with me.  I carry about 4 patients at at time (one of mine right now is pretty sick, which has been fun to manage...don't judge me for thinking it's fun).

Every morning (at 6am...) when I hit the floor, it's a sprint-pace.  Look, I'm a fast person...I do things fast all the time, but this has been a battle!  At one point today, I had about 50 papers in front of me, two pages to answer, three different to-do lists, and a new admission.  And notes to write, and a sign-out to update, and orders to put in.  I'm totally not complaining (because it's so satisfying to finish on time despite all that crap to do), I'm just reflecting.  And sort of falling asleep as I sit here.

Oh, what about those pictures?  This is apple pie ice cream...and it's fantastic.  This would be a great dessert either now, when you are craving the flavors (and sweatshirts) of fall, or for those awkward days in September when it's 80 degrees but you have an abundance of apples on your counter.  Whichever.  Enjoy :)

Apple Pie Ice Cream
Adapted from Annie's Eats

Vanilla Bean Ice Cream Base
1/2 tsp cinnamon
3 granny smith apples, peeled and chopped
2 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 Tbsp rum
1 cup graham crackers, chopped into pieces

Prepare Vanilla Bean Ice Cream base, adding in 1/2 tsp cinnamon  (just whisk it in sometime).  Refrigerate overnight.  To prepare the apples, melt butter in a large saucepan.  Add apples, sugar, and cinnamon and cook until apples are softened and browned, about 10 minutes, stirring often.  Off the heat, stir in rum.  Transfer to a bowl and allow to cool completely (or store in refrigerator until you make the ice cream).

Churn the ice cream in your ice cream maker.  Transfer half to a container, and add half the apples and half the graham crackers on top, swirling it through.  Add rest of ice cream and top with remaining apples and graham crackers.  Freeze until ready to serve.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment