Pages

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Homemade Granola


Ok so there is a big movement out there to buy less pre-packaged foods and make more homemade.  That's really great in theory I think...less packaging waste, less added crappy ingredients, more fun in the kitchen, etc.  However, being a busy med student/wife/dog mommy (and I'm sure you can relate, being busy doing whatever you do) usually makes me go more for convenience.  I'm really trying to convert, however, starting with this homemade granola.

Most store bought granolas are loaded with fat, calories and added lameness.  Granola by definition is not a "light" cereal, which is why it's best just sprinkled over yogurt or as a small handful for a snack.  However, I love it, and the store bought stuff is also really expensive.  So, I combined two recipes (from Kara's blog and Annie's Eats) to come up with this.  It's crunchy, lovely, and thanks to the egg whites, there are more chunks, obviously the most desirable form of granola.

Hopefully this is just the start of my "less store-bought, more homemade" adventure.  I saw a recipe for homemade yogurt (yes, starting with just milk...God help me).  Maybe that's next on the list.

Homemade Granola
4 cups old fashioned oats
1/2 cup wheat germ
1 cup shredded coconut, toasted
1/2 cup nuts (I used sliced almonds)
1/4 cup maple syrup
2 Tbsp canola oil
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
2 egg whites, beaten until foamy
Dried fruit, if desired

Preheat oven to 350.  Combine oats, wheat germ, coconut and nuts in a large bowl.  In a small saucepan, combine syrup, oil, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt.  Bring to a boil.  Pour over oat mixture and mix well.  Fold in foamy egg whites.  Spread onto a sheet pan lined with parchment paper.  Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown, stirring once or twice.

No comments:

Post a Comment