Pages

Friday, May 4, 2012

BLAT: Bacon, lettuce, avocado and tomato sandwich


The BLAT...what a name :)  Peter is a big fan of BLT sandwiches, but we also share a love of avocado.  Umm..lets just add avocado to BLT and make a BLAT!  Obviously this is a super easy weeknight meal, and yes, it has bacon but a few pieces won't kill you, and the flavor is really robust so you don't need 10 pieces per sandwich (I think 2-3 slices is perfect :)

Also, we buy the fully cooked bacon you can get in the boxes...go ahead and use raw bacon, but I find that the trauma of dealing with a smoke-filled apartment while the bacon pops away in a pan or smokes out the oven is a bit too much for a Tuesday night :)

In other news, medicine is going just swimmingly.  I really like it (again, no, not jumping the peds ship), but compared to surgery this is equivalent to a Caribbean vacation: hours are better (generally 6ish-3?), people are nicer, I learn a lot, and get to have a pretty big role in the care of my patients.  In preparation for fourth year and (gasp!) life beyond as a real doctor, I ordered this super sweet new stethoscope.  Littman is kinda like the Cadillac of stethoscopes, plus this one is dual sided....adults and peds.  As a pediatrician, I didn't want to carry around 3 stethoscopes (infant, pediatric, and adult)...so this takes me down to two.  Why three scopes?   Think about a baby's chest vs a 5 year old vs a burly post-pubescent 15 year old male...I love my patient population :)

BLAT
Bacon (preferably the precooked kind)
Lettuce (I like Boston lettuce)
1 avocado
Ripe, good quality tomatoes (try to find heirloom if you can)
Whole wheat bread
Mayo, if desired (we used chipotle mayo)

Toast the bread.  Meanwhile, slice the tomato and avocado, and tear up the lettuce leaves.  Microwave the bacon, and assemble the sandwich (not too complicated, right?)  Serve with a side salad or cup of soup.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment