Pages

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Smores Brownies


This morning, as a requirement for my Emed rotation, I attended a conference, which happened to be on gastric bypass surgery complications.  Inherent to a topic like that is a discussion on the rampant obesity crisis in our country.  Isn't my post appropriate?

Ok here's the thing...the country's problem is not Smores Brownies.  Nor is it restaurants, carbohydrates, or any other scapegoat for that matter.  It's about a lack of healthy living, which includes healthful food choices and frequent, vigorous exercise.  Have your brownie.  Have a salad too (with light dressing and cheese, please).  Work out as many days as you can afford...even if it's another trip around the block with your furry friend (though your heart WOULD appreciate a good sweat session too...).
Couldn't you just take a bath in that??
Back to the brownies...I had no idea if this would work or not.  Peter asked me to make a treat for his teaching assistant group he belongs to, since their students have finals this week.  Of course I obliged...any excuse to bake!  I LOVE smores, and I thought I could combine the parts into a brownie.  My only concern was the graham crackers...would they hold up in the batter?  They actually did ok!  The marshmallows on top kinda imploded, but it was a fun touch.  Kind of a neat take on a classic summer treat.

Smores Brownies

1 box favorite brownie mix (for 9x13 pan...check the back)
3/4 cup graham crackers, coarsely crushed
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1 cup mini marshmallows
Large marshmallows, for the top

Prepare brownie mix per package directions.  Stir in about 1/2 cup of crushed graham crackers, chocolate chips, and mini marshmallows.  Pour into greased 9x13 pan, and top with large marshmallows, about one per square you would cut.  Sprinkle on some of the remaining graham crackers, and bake per package instructions (mine said 350 for 28-32 minutes).  Let cool and devour.

No comments:

Post a Comment