Pages

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Sewing and Suturing...kinda the same thing

For my second sewing project, I wanted to make an apron.  Not one that goes over your head and covers your whole front, but rather one that just ties around the waist.  Why?  Well, I have lots of the over-the-head variety, and I like the June Cleaver look of the other kind.  Before I left home to come back to Chicago, my mom and I found a pattern that seemed manageable.  In my spare time since restarting clinicals, I started sewing.

After learning the basics, this project wasn't too bad.  The pattern was straightforward, except it got a little sticky for me with the waistband part.  Not to fear...just some fiddling with pins and practice runs before stitching and I figured it out.  Pretty cute, huh?  I'm making one for my grandma's birthday :)  I hope that one turns out because she is our sewing guru.
A picture of interrupted suturing, the kind I've
been doing on patients.  It's the easiest and most basic,
and the only type I know :)
On a related but different note, I'm surviving my stretch of 3 night shifts in a row in the ER!  Tonight is the last one until next week.  Nights really aren't that bad, and the ER is always hopping anyways.  I've really liked being on the "Trauma" side, because although it's mostly medical complaints, whenever there is a trauma, it goes there.  Last night, I sutured two people up...one a thumb that was cut in a "V" shape from a broken drinking glass (a little tricky with the angles, but it came together nicely), and another face laceration.  That one was more tricky, just because he was still high on his PCP or whatever he took and didn't really want to cooperate.  I got to know the helpful security guard while I repaired the lac.  Nothing like making new friends over a combative, bloody forehead.
Again, unrelated, but I thought this was cute. We were putting together
a bookshelf, and she decided she liked to be in the box :)

No comments:

Post a Comment