Pages

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Scallops with Mango Avocado Salsa


Before we get to the main event...may I just say that I've survived 2 ER shifts!  We have 16 total shifts in a 4 week span, and it will be a whirlwind, to put it lightly.  I really like it, but it's crazy.  It's basically organized chaos, especially at a Level 1 inner city trauma center.  I had my first shift on the "medicine" side, and my second on the "trauma" side (which is basically medicine patients, but any trauma that rolls in goes over there).  I've gotten to do an ABG (arterial blood gas...not fun for anyone), start an IV, draw blood, and push the last round of epinephrine into an OD that came in pulseless (and by the way, cardiac arrests do NOT look like they do on Grey's Anatomy).  On a final note, I'll be "swing shifting" (any combination of days/pms/nights for the next month), so if the blog falls apart, well, I'm doing my best.

Ok so scallops with mango avocado salsa...I've never made this recipe.  I found it for my dad for his "Men in the Kitchen" adventure in an appetizer book I received last year from a friend.  It sounded good and fit our island theme.  My parents did try it this past weekend and had rave reviews.  They said that the salsa was super well flavored, (my dad said, "there's a lot of stuff going on there"), and the scallops were a fun new seafood to work with besides fish and shrimp.  Just don't overcook your scallops...sear them and take the off the heat.

Scallops with Mango Avocado Salsa
Adapted from Williams Sonoma Food Made Fast Small Plates cookbook

1 1/4 lb bay or sea scallops, muscles removed
1-2 Tbsp canola oil
1 1/4 cups fresh lime juice (7-8 limes)
1 1/2 Tbsp finely chopped fresh cilantro
Salt and pepper
3/4 tsp red pepper flakes
Hot sauce to taste
1 mango, peeled, pitted and cut into small cubes
1 avocado, pitted, peeled and cut into small cubes

Cook the scallops:  In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 Tbsp of canola oil until hot but not smoking.  Working in batches, sear scallops on each side for 1-2 minutes, adding more oil if necessary.  Transfer to plate.

Marinate the scallops:  In a bowl, combine the lime juice, cilantro, 2 tsp salt, pepper flakes and hot sauce.  Add the scallops and toss.  Gently stir in the mango and avocado.  Spoon into martini glasses and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment