Pages

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Double Chocolate Coconut Cookies


So, I totally came up with this cookie recipe on my own.  I had no idea how it would turn out...but they are fantastic!!  This recipe was created from a need to use up shredded coconut and some old Easter candy.  (I needed like a half cup of coconut for the Hawaiian Wedding Cake recipe, and was subsequently left with 5/6 of a bag....I used some in my homemade granola, and the rest here :) 

For the chocolate, I chopped up some Dove chocolate Easter eggs that I had left over.  I was getting sick of them just plain, but it is a high sin to waste chocolate (obviously), so I threw the chunks into these cookies.  You could use chocolate chips (or white chocolate chips for all I care), but this would be an option if you find yourself with the good fortune to have a chocolate surplus. 

Double Chocolate Coconut Cookies
3/4 cup flour
1/4 cup baking cocoa
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 stick butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
1 egg, at room temp
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 Tbsp white rum
1 cup coconut, toasted
1 cup chocolate chips or chocolate chunks

Preheat oven to 375.  In a bowl, whisk together dry ingredients until well combined.  In a mixer, cream together butter and sugars.  Add in egg, vanilla extract and rum, beating until combined.  Slowly add in dry ingredient mixture but do not overbeat!  Fold in the coconut and chocolate.  Drop spoonfuls onto a greased baking sheet.  Bake for 8 minutes.  Remove from oven and allow to cool for 1 minute before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment