Pages

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Easy Cheesy Lemon Bars


I know, I know, it's been a while.  The good news: surgery is over!  I just have the stupid shelf exam tomorrow (hopefully I'm ready?  yikes), and then it's off to medicine, my final rotation as a third year.
As I re-enter the real world, I'll hopefully spend more time in the kitchen and as a result blog a bit more :)

Today we had a "study day", which consisted of me sleeping in to the late hour of 6:40 (that is LATE compared to 4am...) and some light-lifting studying.  And baking.  My in-laws are headed into town this weekend, and you know I'm making some yummy treats; more on those later.  Here is a recipe I made for our Easter celebration...the best lemon bars ever.


Lemon bars have many variations...I've seen some with blueberries, some plain just dusted with powdered sugar, some with crust, some without.  These are special because they really are easy, and two, they have a great frosting.  They were a big hit with our friends, and the leftovers didn't last long in our fridge (they are best kept cold).

Easy Cheesy Lemon Bars

1 package lemon cake mix
1 stick butter, softened
3 eggs, divided
1 can lemon frosting
1 8oz package fat free cream cheese (I'm trying here...)

Preheat oven to 350, and grease a 9x13 inch pan.  In a bowl, mix together (dry) cake mix, butter and 1 egg.  Pat into the bottom of a pan (it will be crumbly).  Cream together the frosting and cream cheese.  Remove half of it and save it for the topping.  To the remaining half, beat in two eggs for 3 minutes.  Pour the egg/frosting mixture over the crust, and bake for 30 minutes until set but still a little wiggly.  Allow to cool, and then frost with remaining frosting/cream cheese mixture.  Refrigerate until ready to serve, and then refrigerate leftovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment